Skip to main content

Tailor Made

I had a personal tailor growing up.  Sounds a bit posh, doesn't it?  But I really did.  My father was a tailor (always will be a tailor), and of course the best tailor around.  All my life, he took care of my alterations with expert care. He knew how I was built. One arm just a tiny bit longer than the other, one hip a little off, and an ever fluctuating waistline. He altered my clothes perfectly and instinctively.

Over the past few years though, his eyesight has dimmed and he can't tailor the way he could when his vision was sharp.  I remember shopping with confidence knowing he could fix anything that didn't fit me quite right. So, I wouldn't hesitate to buy things that needed altering. I knew he would be ready and willing to make the necessary changes to my clothes, transforming them to fit my crooked body.   


This is my sewing machine.  It belonged to my dad.
Now a days, I know I can't run to my dad to make alterations for me. 
I miss being able to go to him to customize the fit of my clothes. I am sure I could find someone I trust, but having my dad alter my clothing has been a lifelong event, a special "thing". A thing I just don't feel I can hand over to someone else. He could look at a garment and know exactly how to work with it. For me,he took what looked impossible to the possible. He would examine something I bought and could tell if he could work with it.  I had one hundred percent assurance that when he would be done with it, it would be perfect.

Just as my dad has been my personal tailor all my life, I think of Jesus as my spiritual tailor. There have been many things I've taken on that don't fit me so well.  Things like anger, judgment, self-pity, doubt. Shall I go on?  Things that only HE could turn into something better and "perfect". Jesus takes those things that don't look good on us and transforms them into something more. Something beautiful.  I recently heard a discussion about how we often think we are not enough. Not pretty enough, skinny enough, good enough, etc.  Can we just stop this thinking?  Can we remember that we can take those thoughts to Christ? These thoughts need alterations!  It is in those moments, that we must remember that we can go to Jesus with confidence.  He stands in the gap, fills it, and makes us enough.  He applies his TRUTH to our lives! He is the one that takes a poor fit (a lie we believe) and alters it.

My dad took something that didn't fit me and changed it into something flattering. He could transform a garment so that it looked like it was custom made just for me.  What are you wearing these days that doesn't fit right?  Go to Christ with confidence. He will alter whatever it is and will change it into something that designed to fit you perfectly.  


I will go before you and make the crooked places straight;
I will break in pieces the gates of bronze and cut the bars of iron.
I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places,
That you may know that I, the Lord, who call you by your name,am the God of Israel... Isaiah 45:2-3

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does your "cookbook" look like?

My Betty Crocker cookbook is a wreck. It was given to me as a bridal shower gift in 1979, and I have treasured it ever since. Over forty years later, it remains a prized possession. It has been my cooking guidebook, truly important when you’ve grown up feasting on a mainly southern Italian diet, (no complaints here) which included a lot of pasta and meatballs. Yes, our meals had variety, but gravy was simmering at my house just about every other day. The traditional, and now collectable Betty Crocker cookbook became my best friend in the kitchen. Today, it has all the signs of being used and maybe a little abused. The pages are weathered, written on, and stained. The covers are loose, no longer held in place by the familiar spiral binding. The only thing keeping it together is an oversized, stretchy band. I’ve collected other cookbooks over the years, but this one has been my go-to manual. In it, I discovered new recipes, tried making things I had never heard of, and was thrilled

The practice of listening.

"It takes time and practice to learn to listen. And it takes a caring heart. A fourth-grade teacher once asked her class, "What is listening?" After a few moments of silence, one little girl raised her hand. "Listening," she said, "is wanting to hear." Lord, make us a people who want to hear." Janet Dunn, Desiring God. I love learning and I admit that I am somewhat of a self-help junkie. A friend once said to me, "You have to start reading something fun!" It didn't sound interesting, but she was right. This same friend is a great listener. When I sounded off about trouble in my heart about my relationship with my mom, she offered kind and loving advice. What was that advice? That I needed to seek the help of a counselor. Inside, I rolled my eyes. Really? Again? I've gone this route before, aren't I done? But I went forward with her advice.  I connected with a counselor, a caring soul, a beautiful listener. With her by my s

Chasing Art

Over the years, I have explored my art through various mediums.  Ceramics, oils, pencil, acrylics, watercolor, photography (I'm sure there are more).  I've enjoyed all of them and this weekend I was going to add one more art adventure, collage.  I signed up, not really knowing what I was going to be doing, and I am so happy I did.  It was absolutely wonderful.  More than wonderful...I was completely in the zone for two and one half days.  A classmate in the workshop talked about losing time when creating, and that's exactly what happened.   I was in my own world for two and half days and whatever else was going on out there, just didn't matter.  It's strange how a room filled with artistic energy can create a bond beyond words.  I learned a new art form from my fabulous instructor,  Laura Lein-Svencner and equally rewarding was hearing the encouraging words from my classmates.  I was excited about attending this workshop for many reasons.  The obvious was that I was