Skip to main content

Opposite Directions



It was nice and toasty in my house.  And the tear that just leaked from my eye turned ice cold as I pulled the door shut behind me.  I couldn’t help it.  I had an emotional wrestling match with my better half the night before, and it left me feeling fragile.  This happens in marriage and relationships, right?  How is it that I can be standing right next to my husband and yet feel so alone?  I had to make a choice.  I prayed and wondered how to proceed.  Would I be able to verbalize my thoughts?  Would I be able to lay down the anger I felt it my heart?  I had to work backwards.    


I’ve learned enough to know that the anger is the blanket that covers all the other feelings.  Don’t we like to stay under the blanket?  It’s kind of comfortable and it keeps us distant so we don’t have to deal with the truths that lead us there.  So I had to start uncovering, and  I found rejection at the root, which was enough to prompt the tears. The tail spin began. 


When an airplane is in a tail spin, there are ways a pilot can regain control to get the plane to fly safely, avoiding disaster.  It does, of course, take great skill.  I don't understand aeronautics, but I read that one method basically requires the pilot to have a "hands off" approach, yet somehow fly in the opposite direction of the spin.  Apparently, this can save the plane and puts it back in flight safely.  That’s exactly what I needed to do.  I needed to pull away from the situation, but more importantly, I needed to go in the opposite direction than where my heart was taking me.  I don’t know that I have navigated the spin successfully, but I am letting go of the rudder, and desire to go in the direction the Lord wants me to go.  I don't always understand my emotions fully, but God does and I know He will help me avoid disaster.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make 
straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comments

  1. Re, I have a bowl of stones on it and everyone morning I pick one...with these stones are affirmation and I got to share what I picked yesterday.."Help is on the Way" and I've also heard that in case such as these heart tuggers, "God's got it" with in you spirit. it will all work out, sounds strange too but when I'm going through moments with loved ones, I become thankful for them good or bad some how there's a bit of learning for me in it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you are so right...this is a huge learning moment for me and I sit at His feet to learn. It is definitely about letting go and moving into a place of new freedom. Thank you for sharing. Love your affirmation stone, yes help has come!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What does your "cookbook" look like?

My Betty Crocker cookbook is a wreck. It was given to me as a bridal shower gift in 1979, and I have treasured it ever since. Over forty years later, it remains a prized possession. It has been my cooking guidebook, truly important when you’ve grown up feasting on a mainly southern Italian diet, (no complaints here) which included a lot of pasta and meatballs. Yes, our meals had variety, but gravy was simmering at my house just about every other day. The traditional, and now collectable Betty Crocker cookbook became my best friend in the kitchen. Today, it has all the signs of being used and maybe a little abused. The pages are weathered, written on, and stained. The covers are loose, no longer held in place by the familiar spiral binding. The only thing keeping it together is an oversized, stretchy band. I’ve collected other cookbooks over the years, but this one has been my go-to manual. In it, I discovered new recipes, tried making things I had never heard of, and was thrilled

The practice of listening.

"It takes time and practice to learn to listen. And it takes a caring heart. A fourth-grade teacher once asked her class, "What is listening?" After a few moments of silence, one little girl raised her hand. "Listening," she said, "is wanting to hear." Lord, make us a people who want to hear." Janet Dunn, Desiring God. I love learning and I admit that I am somewhat of a self-help junkie. A friend once said to me, "You have to start reading something fun!" It didn't sound interesting, but she was right. This same friend is a great listener. When I sounded off about trouble in my heart about my relationship with my mom, she offered kind and loving advice. What was that advice? That I needed to seek the help of a counselor. Inside, I rolled my eyes. Really? Again? I've gone this route before, aren't I done? But I went forward with her advice.  I connected with a counselor, a caring soul, a beautiful listener. With her by my s

Help, I'm a new mom again!

Have you ever re-visited something in your mind, over and over again, hoping to rehearse an upcoming conversation, or maybe correct one?  I find that happens to me as I sometimes put my foot in my mouth when I speak with one of my kids.  I find myself bumbling through a conversation and when I hang up I wonder, “Why did I say that?”  I blame it on the awkwardness of talking on a cell phone, the distance in miles that limits a heartfelt conversation, or just my inability to remember I was once their age.    Thankfully, my sister helped me put things in perspective.  I’m not their mother anymore…in a sense.  I’m not here to give advice, unless they ask.  I’m here to be a companion in their journey.  To hold on very loosely so they can experience their lives, just like I had to.  I don’t think my parents had much insight into what I was experiencing when I was 25 or 30.  They were living their lives.  And so am I, but I want to be connected to my kids.  There is a difference, tho