Skip to main content

Living a disrupted life


 


Living a disrupted life
Everything has changed. Our lives have certainly been disrupted. And if you really think about it, nothing over time is new.

When I think about the many changes and challenges from the beginning of time, I am led to several of the stories in the New Testament where peoples' lives were disrupted by many things, especially as Jesus appeared on the scene..

When Christ showed up, it was a definite disruption to the life and culture of the day. He created a stir and things changed. People tried to figure out who this man was. Many recognized that he was "The Way", but there was so much to learn and sort through. There was mystery and misunderstanding. Did he come to break the rules or give new ones?

Jesus crashed into the lives of people who were outcasts, hopeless, and in desperate need. He fought the establishment and made a way for those who needed love, compassion, and grace. Stepping in when the culture was ready to convict those same people, Jesus asked simple questions that brought a change of heart. He was the example of love in the highest form as he taught his disciples how to serve others selflessly. 

One such "crash" is found In John 4. We see Jesus interact with a Samaritan woman at a water well. The Jews and Samaritans were enemies at this time and it was unthinkable to cross the boundaries of hatred that existed between these two cultures. Yet, Jesus crossed those lines when he interacted with a the Samaritan woman as she fetched water for the day.

She knew he was out of line for several reasons. One, because they were enemies, and secondly because men did not typically speak to women. That's just the way it was in that culture. Jesus however, did not pay attention to the rules. He especially cared for women and there are many illustrations of how he honored them throughout the New Testament.

This woman engaged in a conversation and through the end of it, she realized that the water she was retrieving from the well was temporary. Jesus explained that he was offering "living water", which would give her eternal life. He disrupted her life in that moment. So much, that she left her water jar behind and ran to tell the townspeople who she met. The Messiah. 

There is so much more to this story and I've created a devotional booklet for you to read and enjoy. It can be found and downloaded in the link below. I'd love to hear back from you once you read it.

The series, "The Chosen" creatively depicts the scene at the well. Here's the link to view it. https://vimeo.com/419537777

Click here: A Walk to the Well downloadable pdf booklet 




The photo above is a water spring, found in Italy, in the small town of
Bucita. This is my mother's birthplace and where she grew up as a child.
She made countless trips to this "well" to collect water for her family. The
water never stops flowing. It reminds me of the "living water" Jesus offers us. It's a simple illustration of the love of Christ that never stops flowing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned in March

Another day of snow.  The amount we'd been getting was absurd.  But this one particular day, there was an amazing snowfall.  Even though I really, really wanted to complain, I just couldn't.  It was way to beautiful.  As I drove to work, I looked at the trees along my route.  Each covered perfectly with a velvety ribbon of white.  Just amazing.  How could I possibly complain?  So as I drove, I took it all in.  Any other day, maybe the snow would not have received such a welcome, but this day, it did.  I decided to celebrate instead of complain.  So what happened?  Well, my disposition changed.  Since then, I focused on a simple prayer.  Lord, change me.  Three little words.  Because when it comes down to it, the driver for my mood is my attitude, my perspective, my thinking...all of it.  Learning and saying these three little words was a huge graduation for me.  It gave me a sense of peace and relief.  That is, until I learned a new way to pray just last week.  During a sm

Baby steps to Big Girl Dreams

My heart was racing.  I had a tug inside of me to make a call to the local community college to inquire about teaching a continuing education class.  I had always had a desire to teach, and the bubbly stir inside of me kept pushing me to act.  My only problem was that  the conversation in my head made me want to run and hide.  But the stir was so very strong.  I had to do something.  And then I remembered a teaching I had just heard by Joyce Meyer.  She spoke about fear and how it can grip your life.   Her solution was simple.  She said, "Whatever you need to do, do it afraid."   A light blub moment !   Her words interrupted that internal conversation, and pushed me to make a choice and shift my thinking.  I marched to the phone....afraid....and made the call to the college.  I asked if they were in need of instructors and before I knew it,  one thing led to another.  By the end of the call, I had an interview lined up and a request to submit a curriculum for a new class

Everybody Loves a Good Fight

I’ve gotten into two fights in my life.  I know, hard to believe.  But I can remember them clearly.  One was with Cathy, who lived two doors down from my grandmother’s house.  I was probably around 8 or 9 years old.  Cathy was mean and a thorn in my side.  She was also the only other kid on the block who I could play with.  I don’t know exactly how the fight started, but I can remember the final scene and how it all played out.  I towered over her as she lay on the grass, pinned in a helpless position.  She cried for mercy and I let her go.  She flew home and that was the last time she bullied me.  The other time was in sixth grade.  I was friends with Rosie; at least I thought I was.  She accused me of breaking her compass and told me that she was going to beat me up after school.  I was shaking in my boots the rest of the school day.  I wondered how I could avoid the ordeal.  I wished I had someone that could come to my defense.  When the bell rang, there was no escape.  There were s