Skip to main content

You Are Already Beautiful

I recently watched Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (Amazon) and it was a lovely, “dreams come true” story. The main character in the story, Mrs. Harris, is a light-hearted woman with a lovely disposition. A war widow, she makes her living as a hard working housekeeper for upper class clients. While at one of her clients’ homes, she spies a stunning Dior couture gown hanging in the wardrobe. Instantly, she is entranced by its beauty and resolves to own one someday. She was on a mission!

She scrimps and saves at every opportunity. Finally, she has saved enough to make the trip to Paris to visit the renowned House of Dior. She is ready to make a purchase! She endures a few twists and turns, but as fate would have it, everything falls into place for her. She is seated in the viewing parlor ready to observe a private showing of the beautiful collection of couture dresses.

Spoiler alert…

She purchases a beautiful gown and the process to custom fit her dress begins. She proudly owns a Dior gown! I won't go into the details, but she goes through a few more twists and turns until finally she is able to wear her gown to the local dance in her hometown.

Her lovely Cinderella entrance is dreamy to watch. She is radiant as she enters the ballroom. Her long-time friend Archie is mesmerized by her. He always has been. He’s always had a soft spot for her and doesn’t skip a beat as he begins to speak to her. He tells her how beautiful she is. And the sweet part of the exchange is in what Archie says to her. “The frock, it’s lovely and all…but it’s you. You’re just beautiful…you’ve always been beautiful. Inside and out.”

And this, my friends, is how God sees us. Truly beautiful, just as we are. We don’t need success, the accolades of others, or trendy frocks to make us “seen.” God sees us, right where we are. If only we could realize this. If only we could stop working so hard in “doing,” and simply rest and just be. While a beautiful dress might make us feel good, it is only for a moment. In time, the feeling the dress produces wears off. Our meaning for significance dissolves as time goes on.

We don't need any "thing" to transform us into something more. We just need Jesus. He does the transforming with his love. The truth of who we are comes from our identity in Christ. Our meaning for significance comes from knowing how perfectly loved we are, just as we are! He "purchased" us when he sacrificed his life for us. That's what love is. He didn't think twice about it. He was on a mission to love you. He did this through his death. Death on the cross. All this so you could be HIS.

Mrs. Harris’ dress was made to her proportions. It fit her perfectly. God made us, designed us, created us, perfectly as well. Embrace what he’s given you. Embrace that it’s what is inside of you that makes you beautiful. The Dior gown was authentic and was made solely for Mrs. Harris. It was a one of a kind gown. And you, my friend, are a one of a kind creation as well. Wear it well.

Your turn...

Take a moment to sit in God's presence and take in how He sees you. As a sweet friend once prayed over me...Look at God looking at you.


Spiritual identity means we are not what we do or what people say about us. And we are not what we have. We are the beloved daughters and sons of God.

Henri Nouwen

 

This is how much God loved the world:

He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why:

so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him,

anyone can have a whole and lasting life.

John 3:16 The Message

 

The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: 

“I have loved you with an everlasting love;

I have drawn you with unfailing kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

 

“The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.

He will take great delight in you; in His love He will no longer rebuke you,

but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Zephaniah 3:17

 



I would be thrilled if you could join me at the artist's reception at the Buffalo Grove Community Arts Center...

I am honored to have a solo exhibition here on April 26th

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Please bring a friend!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does your "cookbook" look like?

My Betty Crocker cookbook is a wreck. It was given to me as a bridal shower gift in 1979, and I have treasured it ever since. Over forty years later, it remains a prized possession. It has been my cooking guidebook, truly important when you’ve grown up feasting on a mainly southern Italian diet, (no complaints here) which included a lot of pasta and meatballs. Yes, our meals had variety, but gravy was simmering at my house just about every other day. The traditional, and now collectable Betty Crocker cookbook became my best friend in the kitchen. Today, it has all the signs of being used and maybe a little abused. The pages are weathered, written on, and stained. The covers are loose, no longer held in place by the familiar spiral binding. The only thing keeping it together is an oversized, stretchy band. I’ve collected other cookbooks over the years, but this one has been my go-to manual. In it, I discovered new recipes, tried making things I had never heard of, and was thrilled

What I learned in March

Another day of snow.  The amount we'd been getting was absurd.  But this one particular day, there was an amazing snowfall.  Even though I really, really wanted to complain, I just couldn't.  It was way to beautiful.  As I drove to work, I looked at the trees along my route.  Each covered perfectly with a velvety ribbon of white.  Just amazing.  How could I possibly complain?  So as I drove, I took it all in.  Any other day, maybe the snow would not have received such a welcome, but this day, it did.  I decided to celebrate instead of complain.  So what happened?  Well, my disposition changed.  Since then, I focused on a simple prayer.  Lord, change me.  Three little words.  Because when it comes down to it, the driver for my mood is my attitude, my perspective, my thinking...all of it.  Learning and saying these three little words was a huge graduation for me.  It gave me a sense of peace and relief.  That is, until I learned a new way to pray just last week.  During a sm

Baby steps to Big Girl Dreams

My heart was racing.  I had a tug inside of me to make a call to the local community college to inquire about teaching a continuing education class.  I had always had a desire to teach, and the bubbly stir inside of me kept pushing me to act.  My only problem was that  the conversation in my head made me want to run and hide.  But the stir was so very strong.  I had to do something.  And then I remembered a teaching I had just heard by Joyce Meyer.  She spoke about fear and how it can grip your life.   Her solution was simple.  She said, "Whatever you need to do, do it afraid."   A light blub moment !   Her words interrupted that internal conversation, and pushed me to make a choice and shift my thinking.  I marched to the phone....afraid....and made the call to the college.  I asked if they were in need of instructors and before I knew it,  one thing led to another.  By the end of the call, I had an interview lined up and a request to submit a curriculum for a new class