Skip to main content

Our Hidden Parts

 

Our hidden parts...

A friend recently invited me to a new Bible study. I went back and forth in my mind about attending it. I had many reasons to say no. My biggest reason was that I didn’t know anyone except my friend, and the thought of meeting new people gave me a heavy feeling. By heavy I don’t mean anxious, it was more of a wondering if I would fit in or have anything worthy to contribute. For an introvert, these thoughts form familiar, personal hurdles that I must approach with full velocity. Or not. As I chose to attend, I simply hoped to make the jump and land safely.

My “normal” go-to is keep to myself. Until I get to know someone, I stay hidden. And this hiding has become something to ponder lately. Recently, I discovered that the part of me that I keep hidden really should not remain that way. And I discovered this lesson in my garden.

I relish the blooming of the peonies in my backyard each spring. They are one of my favorite flowers and I can’t wait for them to open every year. I have two bushes at the far end of my yard and when I look out my back door, I can see them and take in their lush beauty, even at a distance. It is nature at its best and it is so very easy to fall in love with all they offer.

The blooms radiate their essence. They are meant to do that, aren’t they?

Before long though, the flowers unfortunately start to fade. A few days ago, I knew the blooming window was coming to a close. I had to take a closer look to soak up as much loveliness as I could. I walked to the back of the yard and decided to clip a few of the blooms to take inside to enjoy. As I did, I noticed the underside of the blossom. The side that was hidden. The side you really can’t see from a distance. Under the petals, where they fan out from the stem, an even more beautiful display was present. The underside of the flower had the most vibrant shades of fuchsia and pink. It was so beautiful and colorful. It was clear to see that this is where all the beauty begins! Right at the stem.

This encounter made me sense how staying hidden keeps me from shining God’s light in the world. The light God put in me and in YOU. Vibrant gifts. I like how the Bible talks about this in the Message version: 

"You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

I had to stop for a moment and wonder. Am I completely connected to what God has created me to be, or am I hiding? Holding myself back from fully living out his goodness and glory? If I focus on myself, I will certainly hide. The thoughts that keep me hidden, like “what do I have to offer?” keep me stuck. But, when I live in complete confidence of Christ in me, I ultimately reflect God to those around me. I live in freedom from being approved by people. I don’t have to hide. If I live in the truth of what He has given me, then why shy away from living with the gifts he has given me?

All too often, we hold ourselves back because we judge ourselves with the eyes of the world. When we do that, all we see are the hurdles. When we pause and embrace the truth of who we are and in whose image we’ve been created, we live from that place. From the place where the beauty grows, from the “stem.” From God. Like the flowers that abound, when we open up, we open others to God.

Live fully, my friends. There is no reason to hide…

...be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world!...



View from my door


The beauty of the peony


The hidden side




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps to Big Girl Dreams

My heart was racing.  I had a tug inside of me to make a call to the local community college to inquire about teaching a continuing education class.  I had always had a desire to teach, and the bubbly stir inside of me kept pushing me to act.  My only problem was that  the conversation in my head made me want to run and hide.  But the stir was so very strong.  I had to do something.  And then I remembered a teaching I had just heard by Joyce Meyer.  She spoke about fear and how it can grip your life.   Her solution was simple.  She said, "Whatever you need to do, do it afraid."   A light blub moment !   Her words interrupted that internal conversation, and pushed me to make a choice and shift my thinking.  I marched to the phone....afraid....and made the call to the college.  I asked if they were in need of instructors and before I knew it,  one thing led to another.  By the end of the call, I had an interview lined up and a request to submit a curriculum for a new class

Everybody Loves a Good Fight

I’ve gotten into two fights in my life.  I know, hard to believe.  But I can remember them clearly.  One was with Cathy, who lived two doors down from my grandmother’s house.  I was probably around 8 or 9 years old.  Cathy was mean and a thorn in my side.  She was also the only other kid on the block who I could play with.  I don’t know exactly how the fight started, but I can remember the final scene and how it all played out.  I towered over her as she lay on the grass, pinned in a helpless position.  She cried for mercy and I let her go.  She flew home and that was the last time she bullied me.  The other time was in sixth grade.  I was friends with Rosie; at least I thought I was.  She accused me of breaking her compass and told me that she was going to beat me up after school.  I was shaking in my boots the rest of the school day.  I wondered how I could avoid the ordeal.  I wished I had someone that could come to my defense.  When the bell rang, there was no escape.  There were s

What I learned in March

Another day of snow.  The amount we'd been getting was absurd.  But this one particular day, there was an amazing snowfall.  Even though I really, really wanted to complain, I just couldn't.  It was way to beautiful.  As I drove to work, I looked at the trees along my route.  Each covered perfectly with a velvety ribbon of white.  Just amazing.  How could I possibly complain?  So as I drove, I took it all in.  Any other day, maybe the snow would not have received such a welcome, but this day, it did.  I decided to celebrate instead of complain.  So what happened?  Well, my disposition changed.  Since then, I focused on a simple prayer.  Lord, change me.  Three little words.  Because when it comes down to it, the driver for my mood is my attitude, my perspective, my thinking...all of it.  Learning and saying these three little words was a huge graduation for me.  It gave me a sense of peace and relief.  That is, until I learned a new way to pray just last week.  During a sm