Skip to main content

Confessions of an Accordion Lover

It was my turn to choose a video. I shuffled through the Netflix titles and found "Bread and Tulips". I read the description and when I learned that it was set in Italy, I was immediately drawn to it. In one of the scenes, Rosalba, the main character is on a picnic with friends. There is food, and relaxation, which in and of itself drew me in. The dreamy moment for me, though, was watching her play the accordion for her friends. Joe just looked at me and said, "You're in your element, aren't you?" Of course I was. Actually, I was wishing I was in my element. Ever since I was about four years old I had wanted to play the accordion. Ok, I admit it! It's one of my favorite instruments. My husband knew this about me, and bless his heart, he was inspired. Fast forward a few months. I was snuggled under my covers when Joe burst into the room. He was carrying a large suitcase and delicately set it on the floor. Irritated, I asked him what he was doing and couldn't he see I was almost asleep? Proudly, he announced that he had a surprise for me. He opened the suitcase, and out came a beautiful, pearl white accordion. He'd won it on e-bay, and bid on it to surprise me. Beautiful and unbelievable. Beautiful, in many ways. The accordion was lovely, but his thoughtfulness was even more beautiful. And then, I have the unbelievable, that after all these years, I finally have an accordion. Now I have to find an instructor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby steps to Big Girl Dreams

My heart was racing.  I had a tug inside of me to make a call to the local community college to inquire about teaching a continuing education class.  I had always had a desire to teach, and the bubbly stir inside of me kept pushing me to act.  My only problem was that  the conversation in my head made me want to run and hide.  But the stir was so very strong.  I had to do something.  And then I remembered a teaching I had just heard by Joyce Meyer.  She spoke about fear and how it can grip your life.   Her solution was simple.  She said, "Whatever you need to do, do it afraid."   A light blub moment !   Her words interrupted that internal conversation, and pushed me to make a choice and shift my thinking.  I marched to the phone....afraid....and made the call to the college.  I asked if they were in need of instructors and before I knew it,  one thing led to another.  By the end of the call, I ...

I'm a piece of work. Artwork that is!

  “God is not a technician.   God is an Artist.     This is the God who made you.     The same God who lives inside you.     He comes into us, then comes out of us, in a million little ways.”       Emily Freeman "A Million Little Ways" For me, one of the little ways is through collage.   In my class this weekend, I listened, tried to retain (big challenge for this messy mind of mine) and then apply.   One thing was certain, when I thought too much about what I wanted to create, I became stuck.   I had to stop and release that urge to strive.   Strive for what?  Perfection, inability to commit?  A little of both.    Thankfully, I caught myself and decided to just go for it and slap a piece of collage paper on my canvas.   That wasn’t so bad.   Now I was able to exhale.   Once I did that, my heart was stirred and I was able to move forward with anticipati...

What I learned in March

Another day of snow.  The amount we'd been getting was absurd.  But this one particular day, there was an amazing snowfall.  Even though I really, really wanted to complain, I just couldn't.  It was way to beautiful.  As I drove to work, I looked at the trees along my route.  Each covered perfectly with a velvety ribbon of white.  Just amazing.  How could I possibly complain?  So as I drove, I took it all in.  Any other day, maybe the snow would not have received such a welcome, but this day, it did.  I decided to celebrate instead of complain.  So what happened?  Well, my disposition changed.  Since then, I focused on a simple prayer.  Lord, change me.  Three little words.  Because when it comes down to it, the driver for my mood is my attitude, my perspective, my thinking...all of it.  Learning and saying these three little words was a huge graduation for me.  It gave me a sense of peac...