Skip to main content

A Living Prayer

To be seen by God

“Do I believe in God?  Yes!  When I am at work I feel like I am assisted by someone who leads me to do things that are greater than myself, greater than what I have done before.”  Henri Matisse

Close to the end of his artistic career, Matisse embarked on creating “The Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence” (Chapel of the Rosary), a chapel in France.  He considered it the most significant work of his career, and perhaps one could say that something outside himself caused him to create this masterpiece.  As I read his thoughts, I am certain there was something more to why he created art of any kind.

On the outside, his long-standing friendship with Monique Bourgeois, who he met as a young nurse, engaged and motivated him to take on this work.  Their friendship developed over time and lasted for years.  They remained friends as she became a Dominican nun, and his work took on life and breath when he began designing the chapel.  But was it more than this friendship that moved him? 

He wasn’t spiritual in the least, and when challenged by his peers about the project, he said, “Doing this is essentially a work of art.  I don’t know whether or not I am a believer, the essential is to work in a state of mind that is close to prayer.”  He went against the tide to create his masterpiece and he was true to himself in the process.

As an artist, there is something that drives me to create.  Recently, a gentle whisper in my heart made me take pause.  The simple, yet profound, words, “To be seen by God, and not by man.  To love like God, and not like man,” rocked my world.  There is something inside me that wants to be seen, yet not.  It’s a definite tug-of-war, and learning how to lose is actually understanding that you really win.

When I started working with Denise, my art coach, the first question she asked me was, why do I create art?  My answer seemed dramatic, but I spilled it out anyway.  I simply told her that If I did not create, I would feel as though I'd die.  At that moment, the process of discovery and learning began.

The journey took me past fear, which is the most troubling aspect of being an artist.  Once I was able to understand this, creating for myself and more so for something other than myself, for the Glory of God, put me in a different frame of mind.  I may be simplifying it a bit, but I think you get the idea.

My art is simply a form of prayer.  As I wrap my head and heart around this, I move into a different arena.  It is here that I long to be seen by God, and not man.  It is a place of communion, and where an exchange takes place.  It is where I can share my prayer with the world, and the size of the world doesn’t matter.  I pour out what HE pours in, all to be blessing to God, to receive a blessing and to bless others.

So, my question for you is, what is your form of prayer?  What has God placed in you that when you communicate it to the world, it is an offering and a pouring out of a blessing unto HIM, unto your heart and unto others?

The chapel Matisse built, was designed with intricate details that were thought out specifically, so that each person entering it would be deeply affected by the beauty it offered.  His design was personal, powerful, and beautiful.  A display that even today connects people to God.

Our gifts are the same.  They are personal, powerful and beautiful.  During this season of lent, let your gift be poured out as a prayer, for all to see.  But most of all, to be seen by God.

God’s various gifts are handed out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various ministries are carried out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various expressions of power are in action everywhere; but God himself is behind it all. Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits. All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people!
1 Corinthians 12:4-11The Message (MSG)




The Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does your "cookbook" look like?

My Betty Crocker cookbook is a wreck. It was given to me as a bridal shower gift in 1979, and I have treasured it ever since. Over forty years later, it remains a prized possession. It has been my cooking guidebook, truly important when you’ve grown up feasting on a mainly southern Italian diet, (no complaints here) which included a lot of pasta and meatballs. Yes, our meals had variety, but gravy was simmering at my house just about every other day. The traditional, and now collectable Betty Crocker cookbook became my best friend in the kitchen. Today, it has all the signs of being used and maybe a little abused. The pages are weathered, written on, and stained. The covers are loose, no longer held in place by the familiar spiral binding. The only thing keeping it together is an oversized, stretchy band. I’ve collected other cookbooks over the years, but this one has been my go-to manual. In it, I discovered new recipes, tried making things I had never heard of, and was thrilled

The practice of listening.

"It takes time and practice to learn to listen. And it takes a caring heart. A fourth-grade teacher once asked her class, "What is listening?" After a few moments of silence, one little girl raised her hand. "Listening," she said, "is wanting to hear." Lord, make us a people who want to hear." Janet Dunn, Desiring God. I love learning and I admit that I am somewhat of a self-help junkie. A friend once said to me, "You have to start reading something fun!" It didn't sound interesting, but she was right. This same friend is a great listener. When I sounded off about trouble in my heart about my relationship with my mom, she offered kind and loving advice. What was that advice? That I needed to seek the help of a counselor. Inside, I rolled my eyes. Really? Again? I've gone this route before, aren't I done? But I went forward with her advice.  I connected with a counselor, a caring soul, a beautiful listener. With her by my s

Help, I'm a new mom again!

Have you ever re-visited something in your mind, over and over again, hoping to rehearse an upcoming conversation, or maybe correct one?  I find that happens to me as I sometimes put my foot in my mouth when I speak with one of my kids.  I find myself bumbling through a conversation and when I hang up I wonder, “Why did I say that?”  I blame it on the awkwardness of talking on a cell phone, the distance in miles that limits a heartfelt conversation, or just my inability to remember I was once their age.    Thankfully, my sister helped me put things in perspective.  I’m not their mother anymore…in a sense.  I’m not here to give advice, unless they ask.  I’m here to be a companion in their journey.  To hold on very loosely so they can experience their lives, just like I had to.  I don’t think my parents had much insight into what I was experiencing when I was 25 or 30.  They were living their lives.  And so am I, but I want to be connected to my kids.  There is a difference, tho